Amazon has been extremely tight-lipped about what’s happening in its Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power TV present, which is sort of bizarre provided that the historical past of Center-Earth has been accessible for the general public to learn for many years. However now, thanks to an enormous Vanity Fair article, now we have our first concrete details about the Prime Video sequence past the title and a bunch of hands. Right here’s what we discovered.
• The present takes place in the Second Age, after the defeat of the Darkish Lord Morgoth and his apprentice, Sauron. Sauron, in truth, has disappeared, and this will probably be a serious thriller within the sequence.
• The younger Galadriel (performed by Cate Blanchett within the motion pictures, and by Morfydd Clark right here), livid on the demise of her brother, will probably be looking down the remaining minions of Morgoth as she’s unconvinced evil has completely been defeated. Her story will see her paired with a brand new character, a human named Halbrand (Charlie Vickers), who’s operating from his previous. Someway, this leads them to be trapped on a raft within the raging Sundering Seas within the second episode.
• Celembrimbor (Charles Edwards), the elf who ended up forging the rings of energy, will probably be a part of the present, as will Isildur (Maxim Baldry), the Númenórean who finally defeats Sauron however falls prey to the One Ring. Nevertheless, Isildur will probably be a younger sailor right here, lengthy earlier than he or his father Elendil grew to become the king of Gondor and Arnor.
• The younger Elrond (Robert Aramayo) will probably be an architect in Lindon, the western-most space of Center-Earth.
• There will probably be an unique storyline that may deal with a elf named Arondir (Ismael Cruz Córdova) and his forbidden romance with a human healer named Bronwyn (Nazanin Boniadi).
• Though hobbits don’t actually do something within the Second Age in Tolkien’s histories, they are going to be in Rings of Energy; or slightly a specific breed of them will, the Harfoots. They’re mainly attempting to cover away from the remainder of Center-Earth at this level in Center-Earth’s historical past. Sir Lenny Henry performs a harfoot elder, whereas two harfoots, performed by Megan Richards and Markella Kavenagh, meet a “misplaced” man whose mysterious origin may also play a serious position within the sequence.
• We’ll get to see Khazad-dûm, the underground dwarven kingdom seen deserted to the darkish in Fellowship of the Rings, at its heights. Moreover, Sophia Nomvete performs a dwarven princess named Disa, who additionally appears to be a brand new character for the sequence.
• Because the Second Age lasts greater than 3400 years, there’s going to be a while shenanigans to make Rings of Energy work as a TV present with out having to span centuries and forged new human characters each episode or two.
Whereas that’s principally it for the plot and character information, there’s loads extra to be taught concerning the manufacturing of the present, together with how the surprisingly inexperienced Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne grew to become the showrunners, what a Tolkien fan Amazon proprietor Jeff Bezos is, and rather more. Oh, and there are additionally loads of pictures that aren’t of individuals’s fingers, so I extremely advocate you go try Vanity Fair’s article.
Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Energy debuts September 2 on Prime Video.
Questioning the place our RSS feed went? You’ll be able to pick the new up one here.